Home

Microsoft Windows 8 CP - Developer License

Print

Category: Microsoft
Published Date Written by Jason Loo

 

Recently installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a Virtualbox 4.1.1 machine hosted in my Windows 7 x64 laptop on a corporate network. Also installed Visual Studio 2012 RC with the intention of testing Windows 8 Metro apps as well as preparing for the coming Windows Phone 8.

 

Tried the Metro 8 programming tutorials (available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh986965.aspx). Encountered an error when creating the project as now developers are required to get a Developer license from Microsoft online. I tried to get one but failed as the virtual machine's Host-Only network connection was not working.

I realized the Host-Only adapter connection in my host machine was "Unidentified" , meaning the connection probably was blocked by a firewall or there was a security setting somewhere.


So, after searching for several articles online, I found a hybrid solution to resolve the issue. First, I edited the registry entry on my host Windows 7 x64 according to the article here. The screenshot below is from the mentioned website. However, be very careful and know what you are doing when playing with the registry. Disable and re-enable the Virtual Host-Only adapter in your host machine after modifying the registry. It should show "Enabled" now.

registry

 Now, moving on to my virtual machine running on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Inside the VM, the network connection was still showing an exclamation warning sign over the network connection. Then I tried to check the network settings and ensure that it was right. This included changing the dynamic IP, gateway and DNS to a fixed IP address in the corporate network.

Next, I checked the network again but still the same sign was showing. However, this time I remembered the proxy setting in my host Internet Explorer and proceeded to change accordingly in my VM's IE. This enabled me to use the browser and go online to the Internet.

However, after I tried to get the Developer license again but failed. At this point, I was a little frustrated but thanks to another article online, I found the solution. This time, I had to modify the devenv.exe.config  file which is basically the Visual Studio 2012 IDE settings and added the following entry into the <system.net> section. Check out the article here.

<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" enabled="true"> <proxy usesystemdefault="True" /></defaultProxy>


VS 2012

 
 After that, everything worked well ...  :)


Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Copyright 2011 Microsoft Windows 8 CP - Developer License. Custom Footer text
Templates Joomla 1.7 by Wordpress themes free